[Geany] Lost all my scribble notes

Teresa e Junior teresaejunior at xxxxx
Mon Jan 30 23:15:14 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:00:14 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

>[...]
>> Hello, Colomban!
>>
>> I think Geany didn't like when I deleted the line FILE_NAME_X=, and
>> it created a new geany.conf for me... scribble_text is empty, but I
>> wonder why was my previous session still restored.
>
>Hi,
>
>Removing one of the FILE_NAME_X lines will stop session loading at the
>file numbered before, Geany stops at the first missing number, files
>numbered after won't load, but that shouldn't affect scribble_text.
>
>If geany.conf is broken, maybe locked or something as a result of
>killing Geany, then a fresh copy is generated, but that wouldn't load
>your session.
>
>Some "wise after the fact" lessons:
>
>1. don't hand edit config files unless you know what you are doing.
>
>2. when you do, keep a backup (oh, of course, you can restore
>geany.conf from your daily backup can't you :)
>
>3. open Geany with --no-session to avoid loading dud files, but that
>does mean manually re-loading the rest
>
>4. as I found out recently, when loading large files, turn line
>wrapping off (250Mb file took 3s vs 6 minutes)
>
>Cheers
>Lex

Thank you for the tips, Lex, but it basically means I've lost all my
notes, doesn't it? Unfortunately, I don't have a recent backup :(

Anyway, don't you think it is a good idea to change the notes to a
separate file instead of a variable in .conf? Of course, I have a
separate application for notetaking, but scribble is handy for quick
notes while working in Geany.

Thank you and best regards!
Teresa e Junior