[Geany] More flexibility in placing widgets

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Jan 28 07:53:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Niraj Dudani <blusynapse at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps some of this applies to GTK, instead of Geany.
>
> I am satisfied with the locations of the toolbar, sidebar, message window,
> and the notebook tabs as I've configured them.
>
> However occasionally I will temporarily like to move things around.
> Currently there is limited flexibility to do so, and one has to access
> preferences to do this.
>
> I suggest the following features:
> (1) Ability to move widgets around (like the side-bar) with snapping. Things
> can always be locked in place to avoid annoyances due to accidental moving.
> (2) Autohide. I find this annoying myself generally. But I would find it
> helpful in some circumstances. Again, autohide works best with an
> "pin-in-place" button.
> (3) Fading: I don't think I've seen this anywhere before, and hence might be
> difficult to implement, but I think I'll find this very helpful. I suggest
> that some/all widgets outside the editor be dimmed (low contrast/brightness)
> at all times, but that they get lit up again when they receive focus, or a
> mouse hover. I keep the sidebar visible always, and I think fading it will
> reduce clutter. I need to look at the info on the sidebar only when I'm
> intending to jump to another file/symbol. Likewise for the notebook tabs,
> which I look at only when I'm switching tabs using keyboard/mouse.
>
> Thanks!
> Niraj

(1) Geany uses a Glade generated UI and AFAIK this is not possible
with Glade generated UIs
(2) whilst we can hide things, as you say autohide is usually annoying
and would need a very clear definition of when things hide/unhide
(3) this would be *very* hard to define in a way that it would never
interact badly with your desktop themes or Geany themes, let alone
implement