[Geany] Middle mouse click for quick pasting

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jan 24 03:58:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb at n0nb.us> wrote:
> * On 2012 23 Jan 10:37 -0600, John Beaumont | Beecroft wrote:
>> After some fiddling I notice it only works if you don't deselect
>> what you have highlighted. I normally highlight, click where I want
>> then middle click. This behaviour works in all other GTK software but
>> not Geany. Strange.
>
> I concur.  With this comment in mind I selected some text in Geany,
> left-clicked where I wanted to paste it, and then tried a middle-click.
> Nothing was pasted as the selection disappeared once the left-click was
> performed.  However, a middle-cleck without first left-clicking resulted
> in pasted text as expected.
>
> I can paste from Geany to another app and the selection remains
> highlighted even though Geany is not the focused app.  Pasting from
> another app works so long as the text remains highlighted.
>
> I'm using Geany 0.21 "Gromia" on Debian Sid with XFCE4 on one box and
> Gnome3 Shell on a laptop.

Hi Nate,

Yes, AFAIK middle mouse click has always required the selection to
remain highlighted since X was in MIT nappies.

Clearly left clicking in the same app will de-select so nothing
pastes, but left clicking in another ap just gets focus and the
selection doesn't change.