[Geany] Building a new configuration file from scratch

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Jan 20 03:46:35 UTC 2012

On 01/19/2012 07:35 AM, thomas.puech at snecma.fr wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using Red Hat 5, and I would like to use Geany for editing text
> files for a very specific purpose (data files used for defining
> numerical simulations). As such, I need to define a whole new
> configuration file with specific keywords for syntax highlighting as
> well as code folding or for the tags of the symbol list.
>
> As I understood from the documentations of the release 0.20, it is very
> easy to modifiy an existing configuration file, but it seems to be
> harder to build a new configuration file from scratch and include it in
> the Geany interface (not in place of an existing one, but as a new one
> added to the available language choices).
>
> Please could you tell me if this is feasible, and if so, how ?

Hi,

The HACKING[1] file has a very basic (but complete) list of things that
need to be done to add a filetype. It doesn't go into great detail but
if you have any specific questions, always feel free to ask. The
geany-devel mailing list may be more appropriate for specific questions
about the code.

> " This e-mail and any attached documents may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, copying of this e-mail and any attachments thereto or use of their contents by any means whatsoever is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and all attached documents from your computer system."

Heh, funny since your mail will end up in multiple publicly available
archives visible to the world and indexed by search engines  :)

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/HACKING#L383