[Geany] Geany: visual beep

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Jan 14 11:42:17 UTC 2012

--

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:55:26 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> So long as it has a preference to turn it firmly O-F-F

It can't be on by default, there's nothing in the current configuration
that suggests "I want something different than beep or no beep".

--

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:18:09 +0100
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Can't the WM do something with gdk_beep()?  It seems wrong to me to
> implement this manually in the app, and I though the WM already
> supported this.

Not AFAIK. Unless the beeping is at X11/ICCCM/xdg level, there's no way
KDE can handle a gdk_beep(). WM's may flash or re-color the titles of
apps which "require attention", but that's at wm application level.

--

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:41:49 -0800
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> Could not just put a message in the status bar?  Or pulse the status
> bar's progress bar during compilation? Probably I don't fully
> understand, so feel free to ignore.

Actually, we display the progress bar while running a build action, but
still beep at the end. In fact, we have 35 (sic!) calls to utils_beep,
so there's no wonder I prefer to keep it off...

Some of these calls have status bar messages. How noticable are they,
in the bottom of a novadays large monitor, is another question.

--
E-gards: Jimmy