[Geany] writing the .goutputstream-XXXXXX files to some non-network mounted drive?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jan 10 11:57:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Tom <tom at limepepper.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when using geany on a fuse mounted fs, the logs show most of the effort is
> geany writing temp files back and forth.
>
> Is there some way to configure it write them into say, the temp directory?

Hi,

Unfortunately, no.  For two reasons:

1. it actually happens inside Glib and isn't in our control
2. the temporary may be renamed back to the original file, so it has
to be on the original volume

This behaviour happens if new files do not create with the same
permissions and other metadata as the original, then Glib copies the
old data to a temporary and writes over the original keeping the
metadata, but as you say this requires three file transfers instead of
one.  Maybe you could investigate why the permissions or other
metadata of new files does not match the original.

Note that you can save the transfers at some risk if you don't use
safe file saving, but I wouldn't do that for remote files, they are
the ones that are going to fail, so you are back where you started :(