[Geany] How to define autocomplete trigger and question about calltip appearance

klo uo klonuo at xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 08:11:13 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whese settings won't affect tag parsing AFAIK, as I said before I
> think tag parsers are mostly hard coded.  The use of the dot is
> usually part of the language syntax and not considered part of an
> identifier.  What language are you making tags for?

I mentioned that: Lua and Python
Where are they hard-coded as only place where word characters are
defined is 'editor.h:30' which should be overwritten with provided
setting for "wordcharacter" property

> I doubt it is that simple, as I said above most tag parsers don't
> consider dot to be an identifier character so you won't get tags with
> dots in them.  The changes you have made to date should let Geany
> decide that the thing it wants to autocomplete has a dot in it, but
> that doesn't matter if the tag parser doesn't consider a dot to be a
> word character.  It won't output tags with dots in them and so looking
> up tags with dots will never find anything.
>
> As I said before the "right" way might be to figure out how to use the
> scope feature of tag files.  But there are bugs in the scope lookup
> anyway and I don't think it works well outside of the C filetype for
> which it was invented.

It should be easy to set, IMHO, and I don't know if it's easy to be
set in Geany.

I would not expect same calltip for:

    numpy.core.load(file) Wrapper around cPickle.load which accepts
either a file-like object ora filename
    json.load(file) Deserialize fp to a Python object.

which according Geany login should be set as:

    load||(file) Wrapper around cPickle.load which accepts either a
file-like object ora filename
    load||(file) Deserialize fp to a Python object.

or similar.

And it's not just that, but I'd like more to solve this problem
instead opening discussion