[Geany] How to define autocomplete trigger and question about calltip appearance

klo uo klonuo at xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 06:59:20 UTC 2012

I would appreciate assistance by some Geany developer here. I wasn't
able to resolve this, and as mentioned I don't know C/C++

1. Is this Geany bug?

 - I set word characters in filetypes definition file to include .
(dot) as word character, and at the same time
 - I removed . (dot) from whitespace characters, and at the same time
 - I disabled "preferences > various: use_gtk_word_boundaries" setting

Resulting in no change.

 - None of Geany 'tags' files contain . (dot)

2. Word characters in Geany are defined in 'editor.h:30':

/** Default character set to define which characters should be treated
as part of a word. */
#define GEANY_WORDCHARS					"_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"
#define GEANY_MAX_WORD_LENGTH			192

This is obviously far from smart way to change word definition

3. In SciTE calltips word definition is defined in 'SciTEProps.cxx:1015':

calltipWordCharacters = FindLanguageProperty("calltip.*.word.characters",
    "_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ");

How they communicate to Scintilla, I'm unable to find, but I guess
it's call to ScintillaBase.cxx

In SciTE calltips word characters can be defined in properties file
separately then common word character definitions

4. Most obvious place where this can be set in Geany seems to me 'editor.c' file

So I would like to ask my main question - what do I need to change in
'editor.c' (presumably) so that Geany treats .(dot) as word character
only for calltips?

Thanks for reading