[Geany] Size of the font in Line margin and general fonts question

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 06:54:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Even in GTK, it's still six fonts (five typefaces).  And
>> that's not counting bold, italics, and underline, which can be
>> specified independently for each of the fonts.
>
> Yes, they *can* but all GTK fonts except font.small and font.text are
> the same size and the same family, the only other difference being
> sans or serif.

There is a big difference between sans and serif.  They are very
definitely not the same font.  Even if you take out font.small and
font.text, GTK still uses four fonts in the out-of-the-box
configuration of SciTE.  And then there are bold and italic as well,
which typographically speaking, are yet more fonts.

> So I was just making the point in reply to Matthew's suggestion of
> putting font on all settings that it can be done, but even when it is
> available it is little used and I doubt it  is worth the effort to
> implement.

I fully understand what your point was.  I am saying that all these
font settings in SciTE are *not* "little used".  If you open C++ code
and Python code (perhaps the most widely used languages by SciTE
users, including its creator) in a clean release of SciTE, you will
see there is a wild profusion of styles, sizes, and colors.  It's an
utter mess, and it is not at all an example of "but all those settings
are not used".  Because they *are* used.  They are used way the hell
too much, in fact.

> [1] limited check only, I am after all more interested in Geany than Scite :)

Yet you seem to persist in arguing with me about SciTE, which is what
I use for virtually all my coding.

John