[Geany] Size of the font in Line margin and general fonts question

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Mon Feb 27 00:52:06 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scintilla actually handles mixed fonts and sizes, and
> Scite allows you to set them, but (at least in the
> standard properties) none use it.  I think that says
> something.  Note that Scite does not have a GUI font
> setting.

I don't know what you mean by "at least in the standard properties,
none use it".  In the global properties file distributed with SciTE,
there are

font.base=font:Verdana,size:10
font.small=font:Verdana,size:8
font.comment=font:Comic Sans MS,size:9
font.code.comment.box=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.line=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.doc=$(font.comment)
font.code.comment.nested=$(font.comment)
font.text=font:Times New Roman,size:11
font.text.comment=font:Verdana,size:9
font.embedded.base=font:Verdana,size:9
font.embedded.comment=font:Comic Sans MS,size:8
font.monospace=font:Courier New,size:10
font.vbs=font:Lucida Sans Unicode,size:10

That's eight different fonts (across five different typefaces) for
Windows.  Even in GTK, it's still six fonts (five typefaces).  And
that's not counting bold, italics, and underline, which can be
specified independently for each of the fonts.

I completely agree with you that using too many fonts is generally not
a good idea.  SciTE does not support this assessment, however.  In the
main editing window alone, it is commonplace to have at least three
different fonts (not counting bold and italic):  one each for
comments, strings, and "regular" code.  Open some C++ code in a
standard installation of SciTE and you will see what I mean.

John