[Geany] Size of the font in Line margin and general fonts question

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sun Feb 26 20:33:46 UTC 2012

On 12-02-26 08:35 AM, John Yeung wrote:
> I agree that having line numbers be less prominent is generally a good
> thing.  In the case of the editors/IDEs that I use regularly
> (including SciTE), I can easily change the font of the line numbers
> separately.
>
> In the case of Geany, I think that those who either can't or don't
> want to recompile their editor (for example with Colomban's patch),
> the simplest and best solution is to just learn to deal with it.  I

You could set the line number font colour to be less prominent, for
example dark grey on medium grey or something (ie. lower contrast).

> mean, even though I like less prominent line numbers, the existing
> ones are not *that* bad, and you can get used to it.  And you can try
> little things to make them less prominent, like adjusting all the text
> to have greater spacing between lines.  (I don't remember if you can
> set the line spacing separately or if you have to pick a font with
> more built-in space.)  Yes, the trade-off is you can fit fewer lines
> of code in the same screen space.
>
> If it's an easy change to make in the official Geany distribution, I
> think it would be nice to be able to adjust the line numbers
> separately.  Geany already has an enormous number of settings; one
> more won't hurt, in my opinion. ;)  But if it's too much of a bother,
> or if it's going to be the setting that breaks the camel's back, then
> I would say leave it alone.

IMO, font specifications belong in the colour scheme files for each
available style. This way not only could you set the line numbers font,
but every other font (braces, comments, function names, etc.).

For example:

     [named_styles]
     margin_line_number=0x000000;0xd0d0d0;false;false;Monospace 8

Cheers,
Matthew Brush