[Geany] Request for feedback: Geanyuniq

John Yeung gallium.arsenide at xxxxx
Tue Feb 21 05:20:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Ross McKay <rosko at zeta.org.au> wrote:
> Lex Trotman wrote:
>
>>Why do people still do data wrangling in text this many
>>years after the invention of the day-tar base. (rhetorical
>>question ;-)

He said it's rhetorical, yet you answer anyway.  Which is just fine by
me, because I was going to answer too, regardless if anyone else did!

My situation is very similar:  Lots of data from disparate sources,
data is going to have to pass through some lingua franca anyway, and
more often than not, that's going to be some kind of plain text.

Compounding the issue for me is that I'm a Windows Weenie, so I don't
have the fancy *nix command-line tools, though I do use Python quite a
lot.

So editor/IDE support for day-tar wrangling is definitely a useful
feature.  In my opinion, a full-blown database is actually a more
heavyweight and overengineered solution than a well-executed editor
plug-in for plenty of use cases.

John