[Geany] Request for feedback: Geanyuniq

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Feb 20 09:40:04 UTC 2012

Am 20.02.2012 09:49, schrieb Emil Brink:

> I saw that "Remove duplicate lines - simple?" item on the Plugin
> wishlist, and thought I'd have a go at it this weekend.

Nice ;)

> The results are at <https://github.com/unwind/geanyuniq>, and I would
> love some feedback.

Without having a too deep look, just a few thought:
* you should consider using PLUGIN_SET_TRANSLATABLE_INFO macro instead
  of PLUGIN_SET_INFO. Its allowing also to translated informatons
  inside geany's plugin manager
* Why do you giving prev (l66) a fixed size? IIRC this will prevent
  lines to being checked in case of they are huger than 512 char (or
  e.g. ~128 real UTF32 chars)

> There is a huge known issue: because I tried to be clever(TM) and
> install the menu item in a suitable place (rather than just at the
> bottom of the Tools menu), this will likely break for localized
> versions of Geany. Not good.
>
> My idea on how to fix that is to make it customizable where to insert
> the menu, so the user can enter the properly localized text to search
> for. Other ideas? Is it "by design" that it's so hard for plugins to
> add commands to arbitrary locations within Geany's menus? The GIMP
> does this differently, with an abstract "menu path" concept that makes
> it portable and easy to add items wherever.

At least as far as I know this just wasn't under discussion by now. Its
current just some kind of a stack.

> Ignoring the menu item issue, the command is by default bound to
> Shift+Control+D,

I'd remove default binding. E.g. I already have this one in another use.

> and always runs over the entire document, ignoring
> (and actually removing) the selection. Does this make sense? Should it
> run only over the selection, if one is present?

As mentioned before: Yes.

> It outputs a line of
> text to the Status window saying how many lines were deleted (if any
> were deleted), is that a good idea, or annoying/spammy?

I like that idea.

Are you thinking of adding it to geany-plugins project? ;)

Cheers,
Frank