[Geany] Escape sequence highlighting question

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Feb 13 11:40:10 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 03:16 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 13 February 2012 21:33, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:
>> On 02/12/2012 12:46 PM, Damon McMinn wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> New to Geany (and programming).
>>>
>>> I would very much like to have escape sequences highlighted in a similar
>>> way to gedit. I've searched high and low for an explanation on how to
>>> achieve this and have come up empty. I'm sure it's very simple, however
>>> it's a mystery to me! I have attached a screenshot to visually explain
>>> what I mean.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I had some code I was using to highlight colours in the text but it's quite
>> general so I adapted it to highlight escape sequences for you, it's here if
>> you want it:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/1815807
>>
>> See the Plugin Howto for information on how to compile it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthew Brush
>>

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Couple of questions to check I'm reading it right
>
> 1. isn't copying the entire buffer (sci_get_contents copies the whole
> file into a malloced buffer) on each change a bit heavy if the file is
> not tiny

Kinda sorta. At one point I was use GETCHARACTERPOINTER but it seemed to
mess with the regexp, so I made a copy.

> 2. you are changing indicators (calling scan_extra_items) in a
> SCN_MODIFIED notification, but scintilla explicitly states "No
> modifications may be performed while in a SCN_MODIFIED event"

It's lying? Maybe it means modification of the text and not the styling
stuff?

Anyway, it works fine for my uses (with colour regexps).

Cheers,
Matthew Brush