[Geany] Escape sequence highlighting question

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Feb 13 11:16:53 UTC 2012

On 13 February 2012 21:33, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:46 PM, Damon McMinn wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> New to Geany (and programming).
>>
>> I would very much like to have escape sequences highlighted in a similar
>> way to gedit. I've searched high and low for an explanation on how to
>> achieve this and have come up empty. I'm sure it's very simple, however
>> it's a mystery to me! I have attached a screenshot to visually explain
>> what I mean.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I had some code I was using to highlight colours in the text but it's quite
> general so I adapted it to highlight escape sequences for you, it's here if
> you want it:
>
> https://gist.github.com/1815807
>
> See the Plugin Howto for information on how to compile it.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew Brush

Hi Matthew,

Couple of questions to check I'm reading it right

1. isn't copying the entire buffer (sci_get_contents copies the whole
file into a malloced buffer) on each change a bit heavy if the file is
not tiny
2. you are changing indicators (calling scan_extra_items) in a
SCN_MODIFIED notification, but scintilla explicitly states "No
modifications may be performed while in a SCN_MODIFIED event"