[Geany] compile, build, run for custom filetype

spir denis.spir at xxxxx
Mon Feb 6 18:52:43 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 05:23 PM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 06/02/2012 10:21, spir wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Just reinstalled geany.
>> I managed to setup a filetype for Go files. All works fine, files of the
>> types are recognised as such and editor features work as excepted;
>> except for the build settings. They do not seem to be taken into account
>> at all, and geany's interface desactivates corresponding buttons compile
>> and build (run is active while looking as inactive, and indeed is useles
>> if source aren't build ;-)
>> Here are my settings from custom filetypes.Go.conf:
>>
>> [build_settings]
>> # %f will be replaced by the complete filename
>> # %e will be replaced by the filename without extension
>> # (use only one of it at one time)
>> # Compiler: 8g -- Linker: 8l
>> # Compile flag 'e' --> no limit on number of errors
>> compiler=8g -e "%f"
>> linker=8l -o "%e" "%e".8
>> run_cmd=./"%e"
>
> That's the old style way to define them. Try using the [build-menu]
> style. For an example see Geany's filetypes.Genie.conf file.
>
>> In the same way, build settings manually input from the interface via
>> menu Build/Set build commands are not taken into account (this used to
>> work in previous versions, but there were explicit compile and build
>> lines if i remenber right).
>
> Maybe that will work if the new conf style is used?
>
> Nick

Thank you.
In filedefs.Go.conf, I set (copying from filetypes.Genie.conf):

[build-menu]
FT_00_LB=_Compile
FT_00_CM=8g -e "%f"
FT_00_WD=
FT_01_LB=_Build
FT_01_CM=8l -o "%e" "%e".8
FT_01_WD=

It worked for compiling and linking, not run (via F5, icon, or in Build
menu) (and the icon is still greyed). Thus, I added:

FT_01_LB=_Execute
FT_01_CM=./"%e"
FT_01_WD=

Normal execute still does not work (and the icon is still greyed). But a
*second* "Execute" entry appeared in the Build menu, which works as
expected. But as you can guess it is not practicle (and I think I cannot
attach a shortcut, even less an icon, to this new entry?). What else?
I don't truely understand the principle, even less the reasoning, behind
this "new way" build settings. The doc did not help. Is there a place
where I can find rationales and explanations?

Denis

PS: Some parts of the doc would benefit of exemples, esp. how to define
a new language. I would help a bit if it were a wiki ;-).