[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Feb 4 02:36:39 UTC 2012

[...]
> +1 again. What's the point in making it easy for someone to commit 1
> minute to writing a content-free bug report?

Because it also makes it easy to commit one minute to writing a
concise, useful, insightful bug report, don't punish the innocent just
because you can't catch the guilty.

If the bug is that simple
> to describe, the chances are a committed user with a login will also hit
> it. If it takes more than a minute to describe, then the hassle of
> logging in to describe it isn't much on top of the actual bug report.

Committed users tend to stick to well known, well worn tracks, its the
users who try the stupid, "why the [blank] would you do that", things
that find the bugs, and new use cases that make the software more
useful.

> I like the idea of pushing the bug tracking on to Github. It seems to be
> much more social, and given that Geany is a developer's tool the chances
> are that many users will either already have a login there or will not
> feel too inconvenienced getting one (like, "been meaning to do that
> sometime anyway").

That is likely partly true, but its still one more thing to do.  And
it probably doesn't apply to many who use Geany in a web centric
environment.

The idea from a previous post that you must be logged in or provide a
contact email is good, but what bts works that way? And who hosts it?

In the end the bts has to be available on a suitable host for free,
and we need to be able to convert at least the last year of bugs to
it.  Don't know anything that does both.