[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Feb 3 17:44:39 UTC 2012

Le 03/02/2012 17:07, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> On 02/03/2012 03:57 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I can tell only for myself: I found a couple of bugs on wordpress, and
>>> some misbehaviors und firefox and a couple others more. As the I'm
>>> forced to register a new account on their plattforms the mood to report
>>> went against 0 so a couple of them I just fixed locally and didn't
>>> report upstream. Shame on me. But I don't want to do a 10min register
>>> marathon just for reporting one line is suboptimal. I'm fine with a
>>> bigger number of noise, if there are a bunch of maybe new reports which
>>> we wouldn't get else wise.
>>>

>> I agree with Frank, registration tends to stop casual reporters, who
>> are not involved with the particular program but have found a problem.
>>
>> Certainly I will not bother to report a bug in software I am just
>> using, but not involved with, if I have to jump through hoops.  And
>> there is no way I remember what I used as a password last time I
>> registered to report a bug for [insert project here] so to report
>> again I have to go through the whole forgoten password fiasco.  Bah,
>> too much trouble.
>>

> I'd agree somewhat for random Bugzilla/Trac installations where each one
> has a different login, but for something like SF.net or Github.com where
> there's only one login, it's much less of a problem. What's more, it
> takes like 1-3 minutes to reset a password, if you can't be bothered to
> spend a few minutes entering details for the bug report (in this case
> your contact info), what are the chances your report is going to be
> sufficiently detailed?

I agree with Frank and Lex: I do already have given up reporting a bug
just because the procedure to do it was "too complex".  What "too
complex" means probably depends a lot on the bug's annoyance, the
commitment to the project and the basic feeling about the software's
developers (e.g. what you think they'll do with the bug, or "do I want
to give them mail/pwd?"), but the fact is that there is something to do
beside reporting the bug.

> And what are the chances that you're going to go
> back to the bug report, which doesn't know your email address to tell
> you of new comments, and follow up with additional testing, etc?

Good point though.  Without contact info, follow up is nearly impossible
and the bug is likely to be useless unless it's particularly good
straight from the start.
That's a valid point towards required registration.