[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Nate Bargmann n0nb at xxxxx
Thu Feb 2 00:32:55 UTC 2012

I'm a co-adniminstrator of a SourceForge host project and agree
completely about the bug system, or tracker as they call it.  We
encourage bug reports to be sent to our mailing list, however, that
requires the reporter join the list or one of us has to approve the
message upon moderation and then remember to CC the reporter unless we
get a mail that the reporter joined the list.

I don't have an answer but would steal any good ideas.  :-)  Is there a
BTS that is easy to use?  Debian's system is mostly done via email, at
least that has been the extent of my involvement with it as a reporter
and on followups.  Bugzilla is used by various projects and I find it to
be so-so.  Trac is another.

Perhaps the most difficult thing is using the search properly.  What I
had happen recently was to search the Debian BTS for some key words on
an issue I was having.  Almost immediately the maintainer merged my
report with an older one that described the same problem but used
different terminology.  Of course the maintainer recognized the
similarity and acted on it.  Does the SF.net tracker allow merging of
reports?  I've not checked as it's not something I've had to try and do
as we get so few reports in the SF.net tracker.

- Nate >>