[Geany] Ideas for reducing duplicate bug reports

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Feb 1 18:27:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

The subject pretty much explains it.

I have a couple theories why there's so many duplicates:
   - SourceForge.net is kind of hard to use, especially searching
   - No login required makes it "too easy" for people to quickly post
bug reports without thinking too much as soon as they experience a bug

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anybody had any ideas for how we could
minimize duplicate bug reports since it's a quite a pain to keep up with
the all the report as it is, especially with things like GTK+ bugs where
a distro upgrades their GTK+ and we get a pile of duplicate bugs about
the same non-Geany bugs.

Two recent examples come to mind:
   - GTK+ file chooser dialog bug causes Geany to crash
   - DBus menu bug causes console spam and non-functioning menus

Both of these had more than 3 or 4 duplicate bugs reported already, even
when some of the other duplicate reports were already on the first
screen you see before you post a bug. Both have been fixed in Git, but
bug reporters won't know this unless they first check for duplicates and
see that we've fixed it.

Ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush