[Geany-Users] Creating a ctags file in windows

Matthew Brush mbrush at codebrainz.ca
Tue Dec 18 00:06:18 UTC 2012

On 12-12-17 11:09 AM, Eddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to creating a tags file but I have trouble of understanding the manual.
>
> According to the manual, to create a tags file, I have to domething similar to:
>
> geany -g [-P] <Tag File> <File list>
>
> Now I want to create a tags file for all my *.php files recursively in
> /path/to/application/root, so with a lot of other directories under
> it.
>
> In linux, I would do something like:
>
> $> geany -g $(find . -type f -name '*.php')
>
> *But I have no idea how to do this in windows on the command line.*

You could still use find[1] (or the one from MSYS or Cygwin) or hack
together a little PHP script that collects the filenames recursively and
calls a Geany subprocess appropriately with the collected filenames.
Alternatively, you could generate the tags file in Linux and just copy
it into Windows.

> So how can I create a tags file in windows for Geany?
>
> And when I created one, where should I put it?

It depends on the Windows version, it seems like they shuffle %HOME%
stuff around every version, but IIRC the manual has the directories for
recent Windows versions.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush

[1] http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/findutils.htm