[Geany] Geany as Windoze noob's learning tool

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Aug 12 11:45:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> You are speaking multiple times of "noobs". I think less advanced users
>> need a tutorial how to setup a dev environment. They don't need a huge
>> installer with everything in. That would maybe ease installation but
>> won't help understanding what's going on. And then, from my experience,
>> users who want to learn a programming language, especially a language
>> like C, are not that noobish anymore. They should know how to install a
>> program or how to unpack an archive into a specific path.
> I'm writing a Wiki page.
> https://wiki.geany.org/tag/win32/getting-started

Nice!
However, the page seems to be in a namespace "tag" which was probably
not on purpose. But renaming the page isn't that hard.
I'd say it should live under /howtos/win32/getting-started

>> Then, if we would include Mingw for C development, then Python users
>> will arrive and request inclusion of a Python runtime, then the Perl
>> guys, PHP, Ruby, ...
>> The installer would end up in a 3 GB file with everything included.
> Anyway, what I proposed an addition rather than a replacement.
> It's just like there is a GTK bundled version.

There is a fundamental difference: the GTK runtime is necessary to start
Geany at all while a Mingw/GCC environment is only helpful (not even
necessary) to write C code with Geany.
Please don't mix this.