[Geany] Geany as Windoze noob's learning tool

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at xxxxx
Sat Aug 11 02:43:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Laurent Hoeltgen <hoeltgman at gmail.com> wrote:
> No, shipping a compiler with Geany wouldn't make sense. Geany is general
> purpose editor. You can use it for many things. HTML, Ruby, gnu octave,
> gnuplot or even just plain text. None of these require a compiler.
That's true.
But since Windoze don't always use /usr/bin, the PATH setting is
always annoying and challenging for noobs.
I got your point though, a MinGW bundled version, if any, may not
become "official".

> Also, in my opinion, we should leave the choice of the compiler to the user.
> If somebody wants to use a different compiler, he shouldn't have to
> install one that comes with his favourite text editor.
Well, the choice of complier is possible but not "very easy" in Geany, I guess.
Because the default build command settings of C/C++ is for GCC.
So if one have GCC installed (and PATH correctly added in Windoze),
then C/C++ works out-of-the-box.
Or if one want to use another compiler, she has to figure out the
compiler's command syntax.
( C::B is much easier since configuration of many compilers is built-in. )