[Geany] Geany as Windoze noob's learning tool

Laurent Hoeltgen hoeltgman at xxxxx
Fri Aug 10 17:59:32 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 08/10/2012 07:44 PM, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
>> I think you already got a lot of answers but I also want to add my 2ct.
>> Even I understand your idea, I don't think Geany itself should ship any
>> C compiler -- or any other -- with it.
> I still think shipping a compiler makes sense for Windoze.
> Code::Blocks does have MinGW bundled binary for Windoze:
> http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/binaries
> But you know, C::B is bloated and too complicated for noob, anyway.

No, shipping a compiler with Geany wouldn't make sense. Geany is general
purpose editor. You can use it for many things. HTML, Ruby, gnu octave,
gnuplot or even just plain text. None of these require a compiler. Also,
in my opinion, we should leave the choice of the compiler to the user.
If somebody wants to use a different compiler, he shouldn't have to
install one that comes with his favourite text editor.
For C::B and similar IDE's the situation is a bit different. They are
C/C++ specific editors and it using them without having a compiler
installed beats the purpose of using them in the first place...