[Geany] Geany as Windoze noob's learning tool

Ma Xiaojun damage3025 at xxxxx
Fri Aug 10 17:44:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> I think you already got a lot of answers but I also want to add my 2ct.
> Even I understand your idea, I don't think Geany itself should ship any
> C compiler -- or any other -- with it.
I still think shipping a compiler makes sense for Windoze.
Code::Blocks does have MinGW bundled binary for Windoze:
http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/binaries
But you know, C::B is bloated and too complicated for noob, anyway.

> BUT:
> I can imagine of a project repackaging Geany for Windows C-starters
> maybe adding a compiler, some tag-Fils, maybe some C-docuemntation etc.
> or another idea is like pidgin adding some options to installer to
> download compiler you need. Unfortunately I'm not this familiar with all
> that Windowsstuff at that point ....
Actually I don't use IDEs very often and I run Linux and Mac OS X.
For various reasons, many uninformed people in my country end up using
Visual C++ 6.0 or Turbo C 2.0 to learn C/C++ ...
Geany, IMO, is a promising choice of beginner's IDE after I tried
Dev-C++ (even new Orwell fork) and Code::Blocks. Sure, it is also good
for advanced people.
That's my motivation.
But it seems that I cannot even Windoze user of Geany here, is it the case?