[Geany] Geany as Windoze noob's learning tool

Oliver Krystal mr.soup12 at xxxxx
Thu Aug 9 13:52:09 UTC 2012

On 8/9/2012 8:41 AM, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Oliver Krystal <mr.soup12 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why is it so inconvient to use the @Drive trick?  If you check out the
>> windows paths, they're all specified starting with a drive letter.  Linux
>> paths start with root . . .
> Well, @Drive trick works perfectly if we put Geany and MinGW in a USB
> drive and keep their path static. What I want is a folder/archive that
> can be used in an arbitrary path of Windoze, i.e., a relocatable
> portable app. Such app is much easier for redistribution.
In general, that's a behavior that isn't supported.  It would also make
the fixing of configuration files and such break pretty quickly .

Geany Portable is up on github,
https://github.com/oliverkrystal/geanyportable if you'd like to take a
look at relevant source files they are in Other\Source and written in
NSIS.  Fork it, fix it, submit a pull request and if I like it I'll use it.
>> For this to work, I (or someone else picking up Geany Portable) would have
>> to distribute MinGW with Geany Portable.  And I haven't been able to get
>> MinGW to work even installed as a regular system application for quite some
>> time.
>> In my experience compiling something with MinGW on windows rarely ends well,
>> if it ends at all!
> It sounds like you are unhappy with MinGW. What's the exact problem you met?
It helps to be able to get a functioning install :)