[Geany] mail filetype or replacing vim with geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Aug 1 07:07:54 UTC 2012

On 1 August 2012 16:04, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:40:10 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org>
> wrote:
>
>> You mean it reflows the paragraph (^J) but keep the ">" at line
>> starts, right?
>
> Exactly.
>
>> No, Geany doesn't currently know there can be stuff that should be
>> kept when reflowing.  However I agree that such a feature, if it can
>> also work with comments and strings, too, would be very handy :)
>
> :-)
>
>> The easiest way to add this would probably be a plugin providing an
>> alternative reflow implementation that takes care of keeping the
>> leading ">".
>
> Actually, vim (and Emacs as well, iirc), can reflow paragraph
> with nested 'quotes', e.g. "> >".

Geany isn't a vim or emacs clone, so nobody really cared to read their
mail in Geany enough to do it.

> Providing plugin means hacking in C, right?

Yep.

>> The best implementation would probably be to teach Geany to keep such
>> constructs when reflowing (comments, strings, etc.).
>
> Yeah, that wouldbe more 'general' solution.

Would be "nice" but is very language specific, would need language
dependent smarts which lives in plugins not in core these days.

>> About a mail format, I'd think one of the text formatting filetypes
>> (txt2tags, REsT, Markdown) knowing ">" for quoting would probably be
>> sufficient -- and since they already exists, you wouldn't have to add
>> a new one :)

I'd have thought just plain text with the smarty_pants_reflow_plugin
would be enough, but I guess markup filetypes might highlight links
and things for you.

> Hmmm...I'm just not sure (just starting with REsT and forgot about the
> other two) how they are supposed to handle nested stuff.
>
>> Hehe, Neverland's so close!

Yet so far away :)

PS in answer to your next, if a (acceptable if not perfect) existing
filetype exists a custom filetype is just config file stuff, see the
manual, if you want something not in scintilla then its C++ as well.