[Geany] How to type non-breaking space and soft hyphen in geany

Luca Borrione write at xxxxx
Thu Apr 19 19:13:49 UTC 2012

Hi,

I still have to find a keyboard with a non-breaking character in it!
:)

I think there is a misunderstanding: I don't have to type * * (which is the html entity) .. I need the character itself. I wrote it only to be more clear,
apparently without luck :)

Any editor has to deal with special characters:for example in Word
you have to press CTRL+SHIFT+SPACEBAR to type a non-breaking space.

Have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211887

Open office does the same: if you open your libreoffice/openoffice
writer you will find this shortcut looking at
Tools > Customize > Keyboard > Insert > CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE

Furthermore in Windows to deal with it, you can (in any editor)
press ALT + UNICODE of the character you need.
In this way pressing ALT + 0192 leads you to insert a capital A
with grave accent (which in html entity is À)
If I remember right the unicode for a non-breaking space character is 160,
so by typing ALT + 0160 I would have inserted it in Windows.

Have a look at
http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

If there's no way to insert it with a Geany shortcut, is there any ALT + UNICODE
equivalent in Ubunutu?
I'm on a Lubuntu 11.10 box by the way.

Cheers
Luca