[Geany] Defining syntax coloring for 'expect'

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Apr 14 00:38:52 UTC 2012

On 13 April 2012 22:59, Fischer, RonaldX O <ronaldx.o.fischer at intel.com> wrote:
> I would like to have Geany recognize my scripts written in Tcl/Expect, to do
> syntax highlighting according to the Tcl syntax rules.
>
> These scripts all start in my case with
>
>  #!/usr/bin/expect -f
>
> and have no file extension. I thought it would be sufficient to copy filetypes.tcl
> to filetypes.expect, but even then, after creating and saving the new file, Geany
> doesn't do syntax coloring. It works of course if I manually set the file type to
> Tcl, but it would be great if Geany could detect this automatically.
>
> According to the documentation, Geany does inspect the #! line as a fallback when
> determining the file type, so I guess it just doesn't know that 'expect' is just
> a special case of Tcl. I didn't find however, where I can define such an association.

The #! line associations are hard coded unfortunately, but another way
is to explicitly mark the file as Tcl so it will be recognised by the
extract filetype regex.

The default regex looks for -*-Tcl-*- on the first two lines, so
putting that in a comment on line two should do the trick.