[Geany] How to add symbols to the Symbol tab - docbook & tagmanager

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Apr 13 16:35:50 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 01:50, Lex Trotman wrote:
> I notice that docbook isn't highlighted, should we make it use the
> Scintilla XML lexer? (since all the docbook I have is machine
> generated it has the extension xml any way so I had to set it to
> docbook)

It was highlighted before, looks like it got broken in the
highlightingmappings.h change. One problem is the filetype file uses
[styling=XML], which is recursive so should be =HTML. Another is that
the style strings in the header don't match. I've fixed these locally
but I'm not yet sure if docbook styling needs to be separate.

>>> The current tagmanager code is not very good at hierarchy handling
>>> (although it does it, it isn't good) and there is work under way to
>>> replace it.  Until then I would say the answer is theoretically yes
>>

>> Is there? By who? Surely it would still need to parse tags with the CTags
>> parsers even if it's managed differently than TagManager.
>
> Columban is doing some work on it as he gets time and yes his current
> intention is to re-use the current parsers (at least when I asked a
> couple of weeks ago).
>

>> Also not sure what you mean by tagmanager not being good at hierarchies.
>>

> Well, to be explicit I guess its more to do with the problems with
> repeated names (although Colombans recent patch has greatly improved
> it).  At the moment the docbook parser uses the id as the unique key
> and only shows entities with an id, but not all entities must have an
> ID.  To show the entire hierarchy it would have repeated<chapter>  and
> especially<section>  <paragraph>  etc it is going to need a better
> "uniquification" of the repeated name.  Colomban uses line number to
> uniquify the key, but with XML you often get multiple things on a line
> so something else is needed, eg character number.

Sounds like CTags/Tagmanager could just store a character number field
rather than actually *replacing* tagmanager.

But I'm not sure it's really worth it - can you show a usual code sample
where we actually want to show things in the symbol list that are on the
same line number which have the same name?

Nick