[Geany] Defining syntax coloring for 'expect'

Fischer, RonaldX O ronaldx.o.fischer at xxxxx
Fri Apr 13 12:59:14 UTC 2012

I would like to have Geany recognize my scripts written in Tcl/Expect, to do
syntax highlighting according to the Tcl syntax rules.

These scripts all start in my case with

  #!/usr/bin/expect -f

and have no file extension. I thought it would be sufficient to copy filetypes.tcl
to filetypes.expect, but even then, after creating and saving the new file, Geany
doesn't do syntax coloring. It works of course if I manually set the file type to
Tcl, but it would be great if Geany could detect this automatically.

According to the documentation, Geany does inspect the #! line as a fallback when
determining the file type, so I guess it just doesn't know that 'expect' is just
a special case of Tcl. I didn't find however, where I can define such an association.

Ronald