[Geany] How to add symbols to the Symbol tab

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Apr 11 00:50:34 UTC 2012

On 11 April 2012 02:23, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 10/04/2012 09:57, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> On 10 April 2012 18:14, Robert Fekete<fekete77.robert at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> - Is it possible to list the symbols by appearance by default?
>>>
>>> Currently I have to manually change this setting for every file.
>>

>> Well, for most programming, having the symbols in alphabetical order
>> is the right thing to do, so thats the default.  As you noted it is a
>> per-file setting and there is no way to store it per file.  Making the
>> default per filetype might be your solution, but that would take some
>> work and well, somebodys got to do it.  But patches are welcome.
>

> Already implemented per-filetype - see symbol_list_sort_mode under:
> http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#settings-section

Thanks Nick, missed it.

> It's the default for e.g. reStructuredText and could be for DocBook if that
> seems sensible.

Yes, Docbook users should decide, or Robert can just change his own
Docbook filetype for now.

I notice that docbook isn't highlighted, should we make it use the
Scintilla XML lexer? (since all the docbook I have is machine
generated it has the extension xml any way so I had to set it to
docbook)

>>> - The symbol tab now shows the sections and chapters in a separate
>>> list, and that way the hierarchy of the tags (the structure of the
>>> file) is lost. It is possible to display the list in a tree?
>>

>> The current tagmanager code is not very good at hierarchy handling
>> (although it does it, it isn't good) and there is work under way to
>> replace it.  Until then I would say the answer is theoretically yes
>

> Is there? By who? Surely it would still need to parse tags with the CTags
> parsers even if it's managed differently than TagManager.

Columban is doing some work on it as he gets time and yes his current
intention is to re-use the current parsers (at least when I asked a
couple of weeks ago).

> Also not sure what you mean by tagmanager not being good at hierarchies.

Well, to be explicit I guess its more to do with the problems with
repeated names (although Colombans recent patch has greatly improved
it).  At the moment the docbook parser uses the id as the unique key
and only shows entities with an id, but not all entities must have an
ID.  To show the entire hierarchy it would have repeated <chapter> and
especially <section> <paragraph> etc it is going to need a better
"uniquification" of the repeated name.  Colomban uses line number to
uniquify the key, but with XML you often get multiple things on a line
so something else is needed, eg character number.