[Geany] How to add symbols to the Symbol tab

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Apr 10 08:57:32 UTC 2012

On 10 April 2012 18:14, Robert Fekete <fekete77.robert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Geany to edit DocBook XML files, and I find the Symbols tab
> very useful, but I have the following questions about it:
>
> - Currently the tab lists only the ID attributes of the <chapter> and
> <section> tags. How can I add other tags to this list? Especially
> <procedure>, but some others would be useful as well.

The tags are parsed by tagmanager/docbook.c

It is pretty small so you should not have too much trouble figuring
out how to add extra element types if you can program in C.

> - Is it possible to list the symbols by appearance by default?
> Currently I have to manually change this setting for every file.

Well, for most programming, having the symbols in alphabetical order
is the right thing to do, so thats the default.  As you noted it is a
per-file setting and there is no way to store it per file.  Making the
default per filetype might be your solution, but that would take some
work and well, somebodys got to do it.  But patches are welcome.

> - The symbol tab now shows the sections and chapters in a separate
> list, and that way the hierarchy of the tags (the structure of the
> file) is lost. It is possible to display the list in a tree?

The current tagmanager code is not very good at hierarchy handling
(although it does it, it isn't good) and there is work under way to
replace it.  Until then I would say the answer is theoretically yes
with suitable code changes in docbook.c to build the hierarchy in the
right order, but practically no.

> I am running Geany 1.22 (Tavira) on Ubuntu, built from source, so I
> can make minor changes to the code if needed.

I would say item 1 is minor and involves one file only, item 2 is
somewhat more significant and may involve several files in Geany's
core so more care is needed, and item 3 is forget it until the
tagmanager is replaced (otherwise you may need to re-do it).