[Geany] Does not re-open a non-UTF-8 file on startup

Andreas Tscharner andy at xxxxx
Mon Oct 24 11:27:28 UTC 2011

On 24.10.2011 13:12, Lex Trotman wrote:
> 2011/10/24 Andreas Tscharner<andy at vis.ethz.ch>:
>> On 22.10.2011 01:23, Lex Trotman wrote:

[snip]
>> Interesting. In the status line, it says "Encoding: CP1252"
>>>
>>> I guess we better get the obvious one out of the way first :)  Can you
>>> check what Geany thinks the encoding of the file is (document->set
>>> encodings->).
>>
>> Even more interesting: in the status line it says CP1252 (which is correct),
>> in the menu it is actually set to UTF-8 (not correct. The file contains
>> non-ASCII characters which are actually CP1252 encoded).
>>
>> I think that's the problem...

[snip]
> Hi Andreas,

Hello Lex,
Thank you for your patience...
> Several things to look at.
>
> 1. what is the setting of preferences, files, default encoding (there
> are two of them), had you previously set them and have they changed
> with the upgrade? Or have you used a new config with the upgrade.

Default encoding for new files is: UTF-8
Default encoding for non-unicode files is: None
(The checkbox between these two options is set)

As far as I can remember, I previously set the default encoding for new
files to UTF-8, but I am not sure about the other setting...

> 2. what is your machine locale
>
> Both the above affect the order it tries encodings, then its in an
> implementation defined order

I don't know exactly. It is a Win 7 Professional German version, so I
suppose the locale is CP1252

> 3. after opening the suspect file, look at help->debug messages and
> see what conversions it tried and what it ended up using

13:25:41: Geany INFO		: Trying to convert 191588 bytes of data from
CP1252 into UTF-8.
13:25:41: Geany INFO		: Converted from CP1252 to UTF-8.
13:25:41: Geany INFO		: J:\QUARTIS\_dev\locale\QrtRes_de.rc : Conf (CP1252)

Thanks and best regards
	Andreas
--

Andreas Tscharner   andy at vis.ethz.ch   ICQ-No. 14356454