[Geany] Does not re-open a non-UTF-8 file on startup

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Oct 24 11:12:27 UTC 2011

2011/10/24 Andreas Tscharner <andy at vis.ethz.ch>:
> On 22.10.2011 01:23, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> FILE_NAME_1=0;Conf;0;16;1;1;0;J:\\QUARTIS\\_dev\\locale\\QrtRes_de.rc;0;4
>>>

>> Thanks Andreas,
>>
>> The 16 in the line above says that when it closed Geany thought that
>> the file was UTF-8 encoding, thats why it tried to open it as that.
>
> Interesting. In the status line, it says "Encoding: CP1252"
>>
>> I guess we better get the obvious one out of the way first :)  Can you
>> check what Geany thinks the encoding of the file is (document->set
>> encodings->).
>
> Even more interesting: in the status line it says CP1252 (which is correct),
> in the menu it is actually set to UTF-8 (not correct. The file contains
> non-ASCII characters which are actually CP1252 encoded).
>
> I think that's the problem...
>>
>> How do you open the file? Do you explicitly set the encoding on open?
>
> Using the open dialog. I looked at the extended options this time and the
> encoding was set to "read from file" (translated from german)...

Hi Andreas,

Several things to look at.

1. what is the setting of preferences, files, default encoding (there
are two of them), had you previously set them and have they changed
with the upgrade? Or have you used a new config with the upgrade.

2. what is your machine locale

Both the above affect the order it tries encodings, then its in an
implementation defined order

3. after opening the suspect file, look at help->debug messages and
see what conversions it tried and what it ended up using