[Geany] Does not re-open a non-UTF-8 file on startup

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Oct 21 08:46:10 UTC 2011

2011/10/21 Andreas Tscharner <andy at vis.ethz.ch>:
> Hello World,
>
> I noticed an annoying behavior (could be since new version 0.21):
>
> I have 3 files open when I quit geany. Two are UTF-8 encoded, one is CP1252.
>
> If I reopen geany, the two UTF-8 files get loaded as expected, but the
> CP1252 file does not. Instead I get the following messages in the status
> window (translated from german):
>
> The File "J:\QUARTIS\_dev\locale\QrtRes_de.rc" is not a valid UTF-8.
> One or more file(s) from the last session could not be loaded.
>
> It re-opened all files until recently, so I suspect it's because of the new
> version.
>
> Note: I cannot change the encoding to UTF-8.
>
> Is this the expected behavior? Did I mis-configure something?

Hi Andreas,

After you close Geany, can you post the line from your geany.conf file
that begins FILE_NAME and contains the filename of the problem file so
we can tell if the error is in saving or loading.  Also please post
the line pref_wditor_default_open_encoding.

Thanks
Lex

(or the whole geany.conf if you remove or don't mind sharing any
personal details in it)