[Geany] Changes to documentation

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Nov 4 01:08:40 UTC 2011

On 4 November 2011 11:58, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 03:34 PM, Russell Dickenson wrote:
>>
>> I am currently contibuting to the Geany newsletter, some of which
>> includes explanations of Geany's features. Some of what I have written
>> could be used to expand the Geany documentation and I wondering how I
>> do that? Is it maintained in an existing git repo and if so: which one
>> and would I be able to be given commit access to it?
>>

> Hi Russell,
>
> The manual itself is generated from the doc/geany.txt to make the geany.html
> file.  You need to clone the geany repository, change into the `doc`
> directory and type `make doc` which will re-generate the documentation.
>
> To do it, you need `rst2html` which is in the `python-docutils` on
> Debian/Ubuntu/friends.  I guess you already know this and how to use
> restructured text from the newsletter.

Hi Russel,

Not that I'd ever disagree with Matthew :) ...

But I suggest you only submit changes to the Geany.txt and let the
committer generate the HTML document.  That doesn't mean that you
might not want to generate it just to check that it looks ok, but it
is better just to submit the source IMNSHO.

If you are confident of your ReST you can just do it all in Github,
like I did for the pull request I sent on the newsletter.

> For some reason we're committing changes to the generated documentation file
> into VCS, though I have some feelings about this :), so your commits should
> include the generated geany.html file as well as the geany.txt file (not
> sure if other files will change, but I don't think so).

Nothing else should change.  Reasons for VCSing the HTML were
"discussed" elsewhere :)

> Now that we're on Github, you don't don't even need commit access.  You can
> make a fork of the geany repository and then send a pull request through
> Github (they have great docs on all this).  All of the devs will get a
> notification when you make a pull request and will also likely commit any
> changes in your pull request or point out any problems that will prevent
> getting the changes committed.
>
> You can also send patches over the ML if you like, and IIRC Colomban added
> some docs to the HACKING file with information how to do this properly with
> Git.

Yes, BTW the document is "mostly" US-English so I suppose it should
stay that way.