[Geany] Changes to documentation

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Nov 4 00:58:26 UTC 2011

On 11/03/2011 03:34 PM, Russell Dickenson wrote:
> I am currently contibuting to the Geany newsletter, some of which
> includes explanations of Geany's features. Some of what I have written
> could be used to expand the Geany documentation and I wondering how I
> do that? Is it maintained in an existing git repo and if so: which one
> and would I be able to be given commit access to it?

Hi Russell,

The manual itself is generated from the doc/geany.txt to make the
geany.html file.  You need to clone the geany repository, change into
the `doc` directory and type `make doc` which will re-generate the
documentation.

To do it, you need `rst2html` which is in the `python-docutils` on
Debian/Ubuntu/friends.  I guess you already know this and how to use
restructured text from the newsletter.

For some reason we're committing changes to the generated documentation
file into VCS, though I have some feelings about this :), so your
commits should include the generated geany.html file as well as the
geany.txt file (not sure if other files will change, but I don't think so).

Now that we're on Github, you don't don't even need commit access.  You
can make a fork of the geany repository and then send a pull request
through Github (they have great docs on all this).  All of the devs will
get a notification when you make a pull request and will also likely
commit any changes in your pull request or point out any problems that
will prevent getting the changes committed.

You can also send patches over the ML if you like, and IIRC Colomban
added some docs to the HACKING file with information how to do this
properly with Git.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush