[Geany] Geany Newsletter Vol. 2

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri May 27 01:46:41 UTC 2011

On 27 May 2011 03:04, Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Le 26/05/2011 04:10, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I made a version of the newsletter using asciidoc and generated HTML,
>> PDF and text.
>
> Don't look too different from ReST, good.

That was the point :-) (for HTML anyway)

>> I have done no formatting to either PDF or text.  The HTML of course
>> needed the css changed since the ids and classes had different names,
>> the xhtml11.css is the source used.
>
> The default PDF output looks good apart the two first pages... is it
> easily to tune everything or is this just a chance that the default
> "looks better"?

Well as I said above, I didn't touch the tuning so yes it is "chance"
that it "looks better".  With separation of content markup and
formatting there is nothing that defines what a particular document
should look like, it depends on what the particular toolchain's
defaults are, as an example I committed the default output from the
fop toolchain, really very bland :-) (Note for example that as the
document type is "article" fop doesn't create title pages etc, whereas
it does if the document type is "book", but dblatex does for both,
neither is "right" just different)

Both have numbers of options, see [1] and [2]

And beyond that dblatex uses xsl stylesheets to generate the latex and
latex stylesheets which can be infinitely tuned (insert usual
reference to guru Frank :-) see [3]

fop uses xsl stylesheets to generate the fo and that can also be
infinitely tuned (insert reference to xslt guru, not me but I found it
easier than latex :-) see [4]

[1] http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/sec-params.html
[2] http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/OptionsPart.html
[3] http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/sec-custom-latex.html