[Geany] Setting environment variables in a project file

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu May 26 20:32:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 11:50:37 +1000, Lex wrote:

>On 25 May 2011 11:34, Chris Sutcliffe <ir0nh34d at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 24 May 2011 21:23, Lex Trotman wrote:
>>> Why not just use the absolute pathname of the executable?
>>>
>>> PS Thats so obvious I presume you have tried it and I guess I am
>>> asking why doesn't it work, does it work on the command line?
>>
>> That`s not the issue (and that solution would work in most cases).
>> The issue is I have a common Makefile for both architectures that I
>> use (it calls gcc/g++), which works well because I set the path prior
>> to calling make and the appropriate compiler is used.  I guess I
>> could pass which compiler to use to make, which would resolve the
>> issue.
>
>I would always recommend an explicit parameter over hidden things like
>setting PATH, makes it more maintainable and less fragile.

I'd second this.
For both way, you can use a set of commands as Lex already mentioned
(the build system guru himself :D). So, this is nothing new, just a
bit more detailed.
To make the commands use the right tool, you can set environment
variables in the command itself, like:

TARGET=mingw32 make.exe

I should note that this works fine on Linux, I didn't try it on
Windows. But it's worth a try and quite easy.