[Geany] Geany Newsletter Vol. 2

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Tue May 24 07:14:28 UTC 2011

Am 24.05.2011 03:28, schrieb Russell Dickenson:
> On 24 May 2011 11:21, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I like it because the markup is pretty (and easy and fast to type),
>>> and it's easy to process into multiple formats.
>>
>> I presume you mean markdown markup, pun intended I'm sure.  Its just
>> another lightweight markup language, not much between any of them, my
>> personal favorite is Asciidoc but more because the tools are better.
>>

>>> Also, you can tweak pandoc to use a custom html header if you like,
>>> but I generally am pretty happy with the default output.
>>
>> Sure, just doesn't match the Newsletter format thats all.

>>> Yup. Interesting. Here's the intermediate .tex file:
>>> http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/temp/geany/newsletter_2.tex .
>>> There's a `\tableofcontents` directive in there. Maybe if there's a
>>> texpert here they can comment on why there's no ToC in the resulting
>>> pdf.
>>
>> Hmmmm, thats the problem we were having with rst2pdf, it eventually
>> started working but not sure why??
>>
>> Actually now I do, same as your problem, you need to run pdflatex
>> several times for it to work, but nothing says how many times.  And
>> thats only one of the reasons I don't like latex. :-)
>>

>>> One nice thing though about having an intermediate .tex file is that
>>> you can tweak it if want something specific and know your way around
>>> LaTeX.
>>
>> Thats Franks speciality :-)
>>
>> I don't know how receptive the guys will be to yet another tool, its up to them.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Lex
>

> Is anyone open to idea of switching to AsciiDoc markup and set of
> tools? It can definitely output plain text, HTML and PDF, with and
> without Table Of Contents.
>
> If there are no loud objections I'll put together samples of the
> newsletter's source file in AsciiDoc markup converted into plain text,
> HTML and PDF output formats.

To be honest, I don't care much (my preference for LaTeX I already
mentioned). There are only a few points the language/format should offer:
- Output in plain text, HTML and PDF (show stopper)
- Table of Content (show stopper)
- Table of figures, tables (would be cool but no show stopper)
- Automatic section numbering (show stopper)
- Useable way on style PDF and HTML

I started a wiki page where we maybe can collect better the pro and
contras and other informations.

-> http://wiki.geany.org/newsletter/markuplanguages

Cheers,
Frank