[Geany] Geany Newsletter Vol. 2

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Tue May 24 01:02:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Yeah pandoc is a useful tool, but everytime I have used it in the past
> it does nearly everything not quite perfectly :-)

I like it because the markup is pretty (and easy and fast to type),
and it's easy to process into multiple formats.

Also, you can tweak pandoc to use a custom html header if you like,
but I generally am pretty happy with the default output.

>> Here it is as html
>> http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/temp/geany/newsletter_2.html ,
>> produced using [Pandoc] via the following command: `pandoc -s --toc -N
>> --css=styles.css -o newsletter_2.html newsletter_2.txt` (and using
>> bits of your geany newsletter stylesheet).
>
> As I said, not quite the same as the original, but not bad.
>

>> [Pandoc]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/
>>
>> Here it is as a pdf:
>> http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/temp/geany/newsletter_2.pdf ,
>
> Sadly this still has no toc, I see from the command below you asked
> for it, did you paste the right output?

Yup. Interesting. Here's the intermediate .tex file:
http://www.unexpected-vortices.com/temp/geany/newsletter_2.tex .
There's a `\tableofcontents` directive in there. Maybe if there's a
texpert here they can comment on why there's no ToC in the resulting
pdf.

One nice thing though about having an intermediate .tex file is that
you can tweak it if want something specific and know your way around
LaTeX.

---John