[Geany] reflow lines

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat May 14 04:34:34 UTC 2011

> Ah, of course. I see what you mean now. Yes, the behavior you describe
> works as advertised. (I hadn't noticed the per-document Line Breaking
> setting.) Would be useful if there were a hover tooltip on the "Line
> breaking column" line in the "Editor : Feature" pref pane that said,
> "this is for the per-document line-breaking setting".

Its possible, BTW from the manual:

Line breaking column
    The editor column number to insert a newline at when Line Breaking
is enabled for the current document.

Line breaking is per document because its destructive and you almost
certainly do not want it for code.  Line wrapping is just a reversible
display feature and so can be global.

> Incidentally, I like the terminology used here: line breaking (for
> automatically putting in real newlines while you're typing), and line
> wrapping (for simply displaying long lines wrapped). Nice and clear.

Since I didn't choose it I am free to say I agree completely.

> And, as you point out,
>
>  1. If I have the long-line marker disabled, *but* have the
> per-document line-breaking setting enabled, then Ctrl-J (reflow) works
> great (and uses the "line-breaking column" pref setting), and
>
> 2. Geany does indeed beep at me if I try to use Ctrl-J when it won't
> work (though, when getting the beep, it would be useful to get a
> message telling me, "for reflow to work, either turn on per-document
> line-breaking for this document, or else enable the long-line marker
> pref").

Note "beep on error" is a preference setting.  Maybe a status bar
message, but a popup that you have to then dismiss is too intrusive.

You might put those two suggestions into the feature tracker, if they
are left on this list it is very likely that they will be forgotten.