[Geany] Local Tags (was Re: Bunch of feature requests...)

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Tue May 10 22:29:02 UTC 2011

On 05/10/11 15:11, Jiří Techet wrote:

> version of ctags as possible. I updated only the core parts of ctags,
> not the parsers, because I know there have been many tunings made by
> Geany to some of them. Recently I've rebased on top of the changes
> made by Colomban (MIO introduction). I've also #if 0'd a lot of code
> not needed by Geany so it's much clearer what's used by Geany and what
> not (e.g. some of the Colomban's changes were completely useless
> because they affected code that's never called in Geany). I've been

Hi Jiří,

Since you seem to know the TM code pretty well, I wonder if you'd like
to help me (or tell me how to) add support for tags inside of functions
for C (and similar languages).

In a lousy attempt at doing this the other night, the first time I ever
looked at the TM code, I managed to get all the function local variables
into the Symbol sidebar tree, however, they all end up under the
"Variables" node lumped all together and also included more than just
variables (ie. func parameters,etc).  Ideally, I think the symbols
should end up in the tree nested under the function where they are
declared in.

FWIW, the change I made to get the symbols in the Symbol treeview was
here[1] by adding another fall-through case under 'case DECL_ENUM' for
'case DECL_FUNCTION'.

Any hints or help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Apologies if this has been discussed already, I don't know how to
search the mailing list archives.

[1] http://git.geany.org/geany/tree/tagmanager/c.c#n2838

Cheers,
Matthew Brush