[Geany] Bunch of feature requests...

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon May 9 23:39:10 UTC 2011

On 10 May 2011 09:21, Eugenio Rustico <jfrusciante at tiscali.it> wrote:
> 2011/5/10 Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org>:
>>> * line wrapping:
>> IMHO is that this feature is not really useful for programming
>> languages, where line breaking means something particular, so maybe a
>> per-language preferences would be the way to go?
>
> I don't know... I think it is more an "editor" property, independent
> from language/project/etc, and that there should be a global parameter
> affecting all open files.

Yes, for line wrapping (which is what you asked for) that might be ok,
line wrapping is only a display feature.  For line breaking (which
adds eols to the file) it is unacceptable as a global parameter.

>>> * is it easy to implement a "reload all" function (useful especially
>>> when working with a versioning system and multiple files change)?
>>
>> It'd be quite easy, but is this really useful? I mean, normally Geany
>> tells you if a file changed when it gets the focus, so is it really
>> useful to reload all the files you aren't modifying?

Told you there might be some discussion :-).  I can see your use-case,
the problem is how risky is it, what are the chances that it will make
it too easy for the user to do the wrong thing for other use-cases.

[...]
> But the LANG env check *is* integrated in geany... :) It is just a bit
> more tricky than i.e. a command line parameter.
> Maybe uninstalling a language? Moving a file?

Providing that the set_locale( LC_ALL, "" ) call is the only place I
don't think it would be too hard to replace "" with a command line
value if its present.  But I don't know if thats all that is needed?

[...]
> Oh, and I forgot: what about some "go to next funcion" (like clicking
> on next symbol) keyboard shortcut? (the equivalent of vim's "[[" /
> "]]" )
>
> So, the rule of the thumb answer for this email is: plugins!

Well it is for things that are language specific, like finding a
function.  While some such capabilities have been hard coded in the
past (eg go to matching brace) the general approach these days is to
keep language or use-case specific features out of the core unless
they can be configured to support multiple languages.  The idea is to
keep Geany as small as possible and let users add only the features
that they need for the languages they use.