[Geany] Bunch of feature requests...

Eugenio Rustico jfrusciante at xxxxx
Mon May 9 23:21:16 UTC 2011

2011/5/10 Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org>:
>> * line wrapping:
> IMHO is that this feature is not really useful for programming
> languages, where line breaking means something particular, so maybe a
> per-language preferences would be the way to go?

I don't know... I think it is more an "editor" property, independent
from language/project/etc, and that there should be a global parameter
affecting all open files.

>> * is it easy to implement a "reload all" function (useful especially
>> when working with a versioning system and multiple files change)?
>
> It'd be quite easy, but is this really useful? I mean, normally Geany
> tells you if a file changed when it gets the focus, so is it really
> useful to reload all the files you aren't modifying?

I often checkout branches with many file changes, so for me it is
quite annoying... consider also that "cancel" is the default choice,
even if the buffer was unchanged :)

> I think Jiří Techet's GProject plugin might be of some interest for this

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

>> * it is a bit awkward to disable localization by setting and env
>> variable; means creating a script and changing e.g. system menu links.
>> Localization should be easily deactivable, especially when a language
>> is not completely translated (or a bit inaccurate)
>
> I'm not sure disabling the localization is something useful enough to be
> integrated to Geany: as you said you could simply set the proper LANG
> and you're done.

But the LANG env check *is* integrated in geany... :) It is just a bit
more tricky than i.e. a command line parameter.
Maybe uninstalling a language? Moving a file?

> And if a translation is wrong/partial, maybe fixing it is the better
> solution? :)

Sure, it's in my TODO list :)
(though in general I prefer untranslated interfaces)

Oh, and I forgot: what about some "go to next funcion" (like clicking
on next symbol) keyboard shortcut? (the equivalent of vim's "[[" /
"]]" )

So, the rule of the thumb answer for this email is: plugins!

  Cheers
  Eugenio