[Geany] Bunch of feature requests...

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon May 9 23:05:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

Some fast and partial answers:

Le 10/05/2011 00:39, Eugenio Rustico a écrit :
>   Hi,
> before submitting "official" feature requests I thought someone could
> comment some points (or maybe this *is* a feature request). Just my
> personal notes approaching geany after years of kate and vim. I hope
> I'll have the time (in months) to download geany source and take a
> look inside, maybe submitting a patch or something.
>
> * line wrapping: changing the options in settings changes the default
> from now on, if I already have tens of files opened without the option
> enabled there is no way to set line wrapping for every doc, right? I
> had to edit the project file, select the lines of opened files and
> (with vim):  " :'<,'>s/0;\//1;\//g ". So, the request is: some way to
> toggle line wrapping for every already opened document?

Maybe, but there was a recent discussion on geany-devel IIRC about a
quite similar topic (it was line breaking, but still), and a valid point
IMHO is that this feature is not really useful for programming
languages, where line breaking means something particular, so maybe a
per-language preferences would be the way to go?

> * is it easy to implement a "reload all" function (useful especially
> when working with a versioning system and multiple files change)?

It'd be quite easy, but is this really useful? I mean, normally Geany
tells you if a file changed when it gets the focus, so is it really
useful to reload all the files you aren't modifying? OK tags may need
updating.

> * maybe an "import project" function would be useful, scanning a
> directory (recursively?) and opening/adding to project every listed
> file

I think Jiří Techet's GProject plugin might be of some interest for this
(I haven't tried it yet though).
The plugin isn't already part of GeanyPlugins, but AFAIK it'll become
soon, and you can use it before anyway.

> * a "project" in geany is just a session, am I right? Is there any way
> to have a project with many files while having just a subset open?

As above, I guess GProject might help you.

> * it is a bit awkward to disable localization by setting and env
> variable; means creating a script and changing e.g. system menu links.
> Localization should be easily deactivable, especially when a language
> is not completely translated (or a bit inaccurate)

I'm not sure disabling the localization is something useful enough to be
integrated to Geany: as you said you could simply set the proper LANG
and you're done.
And if a translation is wrong/partial, maybe fixing it is the better
solution? :)

> * a predefined context action for a file or selection could be sending
> the text to a pastebin; there are scripts that do it automatically for
> sprunge (maybe also for pastebin), i.e.  "$ filename > sprunge"

AFAIK there's a plugin on the road for this. Ask Matthew Brush -- or
wait for a replay from him.

> * in filetype_extensions.conf, both C and C++ have .h extension; in a
> project with both C and C++ files, geany was not able to recognize
> which header was a c++ header and which one was a C header. Maybe one
> could check the extension of a file with the same name? (i.e. if there
> is a fname.cpp, fname.h must be C++ too, etc.)

That's an interesting suggestion, we could investigate a bit.

> * it would be nice to have a function that switches to the
> correspondent header file, opened or not (opening a new tab in case is
> not)

I think there is a plugin that provides the feature, but I don't
remember which one. Maybe GProject?

> Thanks... I hope I'm not too wrong.

There's generally noting wrong in asking questions :)

Cheers,
Colomban