[Geany] Specified compiler in custom filetype doesn't work

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun May 8 09:36:21 UTC 2011

On 8 May 2011 18:58, Eugenio Rustico <jfrusciante at tiscali.it> wrote:
> Ok guys, I'm sorry this little "flame" started somehow from my request
> for a clearer documentation.

No need to be sorry, you didn't do anything :-)

Hopefully, I found a concrete suggestion
> by rethinking aboud my impact with filedefs.
>
> I read the docs more deeply, and after the explanation of Lex's it
> seems to me everything is explained. I think I understand what
> confused me at the beginning: the fact that I copied the cpp filedef,
> replaced the word "g++" with "nvcc" and didn't see nvcc anywhere in
> geany.

I think that the documentation on configuration files needs an added
recommendation that the [build*] sections should be edited with the
GUI rather than directly, that was actually the case even with
[build_settings] but, since the section is part of a chapter dealing
with editing the filetype directly, it should be mentioned more
strongly.

> So, a little improvement may be to specify inside the filedef that the
> [build_settings] is somehow obsolete. One that does not read fully
> documentation, or that reads the documentation after a practical trial
> (shame on me), will change the compiler command and will see no effect
> at all.

I'll see if a script can add a comment after the [build_settings]
section that: 0.19 and after use [build_menu] and to edit using the
GUI (when I get time, unless someone else does it).
Needs a script or I'll miss one (or more).

> My 2 cents

Thanks, Eugenio

>  Cheers
>  Eugenio
>
> PS: little offtopic but quick: is it planned to detect when multiple
> files are changed on disk? When I work with a versioning system, and
> all files of my project change, it is a bit annoying to have one
> confirmation dialog for each single file (and cancel button having
> focus by default)...

Hmmm, yes annoying, which VCS are you using and what are you doing
that changes *every* file?  I use Git continually, and unless I revert
a change or pull changes from another repo nothing changes as seen by
Geany.  In particular commits don't change anything.  And changing
every file presumably confuses make too.

Unfortunately what to do when Geany sees a file change is a multiple
choice, ignore the change, don't reload but mark the Geany buffer
changed so it will save over the file, reload the file or if the file
disappeared save the buffer now, close the buffer or mark it changed
and force a "save as" on close.  I would be worried trying to apply a
single response to all those file by file options.