[Geany] missing default theme after installing codebrainz's geany-themes

Matthew Brush matthewbrush at xxxxx
Wed Mar 9 15:11:27 UTC 2011

On 03/09/11 03:08, Joerg Desch wrote:
> Hello Matthew.
>
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 01:43:46 -0800
> Matthew Brush<matthewbrush at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Also, check out my geany-themes project here:
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes
> Nice project. I haven't seen it before, so I gave it a try. But with some smaller problems...
>
> I've copied most of the filedefs into .config/geany/filedefs and all colorschemes to .config/geany/colorschemes. After this, I started geany (0.20 on ubuntu karmic).
>
> Because I have never used a colorscheme before, it comes up this "Standard". And this isn't the same as the style before! Most hilighting is gone, comments are red and all remaining text is simply black.
>
> The other schemes seems to work as expected.
>
> What's my mistake?

None, well, except you should probably copy *all* of the filedefs into
~/.config/geany/filedefs, but it's not the issue here.  When you select
"Default", I don't think Geany is resetting the styles to some hardcoded
defaults as you would expect.  When I get some time, I will look into
the Geany source and see why it's not using hardcoded/compiled-in
defaults (or at least see what it's doing at all).  For now, if you want
to use the default style, I guess just remove the filetypes.* files and
colorschemes.conf files you put under ~/.config/geany.  The other way is
to make a new colorscheme with the same styles as Geany's defaults,
which isn't that hard, and is explained in the Geany Manual.  Just have
a look at one of the existing themes, it's pretty straightforward I think:

https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/blob/master/colorschemes/alt.conf

If you don't mind sending it to me if you do make this, I'll add it to
geany-themes until I can dig into Geany's source a bit more.

> And why are all "doc-commects" equal to normal comments?

This is how most of the themes I ported were doing it, but if you don't
like it, send me the way you like them and I'll probably add them to
geany-themes as long as the style you choose fits the colorscheme.  You
can do this by editing the style named 'comment_doc' in the
colorschemes/*.conf files.  For example, alt.conf is one of the few
using different colors for doc-comments:

https://github.com/codebrainz/geany-themes/blob/master/colorschemes/alt.conf#L35

Cheers,
Matthew Brush (codebrainz)