[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Stephan Beal sgbeal at xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 12:10:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

>> Nobody who works with a document-editing tool reads the titlebar on a
>> regular basis.
>>

> Nobody?

Not on a regular basis -i know what document i'm supposed to be editing and
i don't double-check. i look at the tab name, but that's just the basename.

> Or you could just have your project file in /usr/src and point to the
>> project base directory of /usr/src/linux where the current tree will/should
>> always be symlinked to.

Symlinks typically get resolved to full paths by applications, making a
symlink useless for this case. (i have not tried whether geany resolves
them, but assume that it must for portability reasons).

> any benefit or any safety against path-related errors. Not only that,
>> but it challenges common conventions (unsuccessfully, it turns out).
>>

> The benefit is that you don't have it in VCS, so when you checkout the code
> somewhere else, you don't have John Coder's IDE-specific project file in the
> tree pointing to files stored god knows where :)

i don't agree that this perceived benefit outweighs the problems caused by
the inconsistency vis-a-vis common conventions. Show us _one_ non-geany IDE
which uses absolute paths in the project file names. In the past hour i've
been digging around my system looking for project files for a couple apps on
my system (not IDEs), and not one of them uses absolute paths.

> I can't think of a single project's source tree I've checked out where the
> developers store their personal editor/IDE preferences in the project's
> source tree, at least not that I've noticed.

Correct - but many of them have a single project file which the developers
can use (e.g. maven build files which can be used developer-side to create
IDE-specific project files). Scons and qmake also come to mind. And _those_
most certainly _do not_ use absolute paths because that makes them useless
for cross-machine (or even 2x on one machine) purposes.

>  Still, I don't think it would qualify as "common convention", except maybe
> with VisualStudio projects/solutions.

Like it or not, VisualStudio _is_ the common convention. i don't use it
(haven't used a Windows desktop since last millennium), but many, many
people do. Others which come to mind: Qmake, Maven, and Jakarta Ant (all
used as the basis for several IDE-dependent project-file generators and none
of which requires absolute paths).

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/